[all][tc] What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 8th Oct, 21: Reading: 5 min

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Oct 8 18:00:36 UTC 2021

Hello Everyone,

Here is this week's summary of the Technical Committee activities.

1. TC Meetings:
============
* TC this week video meeting held on Oct 7th Thursday.

* Most of the meeting discussions are summarized below (Completed or in-progress activities
section). We forgot to record the meeting, an apology for that. I am summarizing each topic discussion, or you can
also check some summary and transcript (these are autogenerated and not so perfect, though) @
- https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/tc/2021/tc.2021-10-07-15.01.log.html
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/813112/1/reference/tc-meeting-transcripts/OpenStack+Technical+Committee+Video+meeting+Transcript(2021-10-07).txt

* We will have next week's IRC meeting on Oct 14th, Thursday 15:00 UTC, feel free the topic
in agenda[1] by Oct 13th.

2. What we completed this week:
=========================
* Added the cinder-netapp charm to Openstack charms[2]
* Retired puppet-freezer[3]

3. Activities In progress:
==================
TC Tracker for Xena cycle
------------------------------
* TC is using the etherpad[4] for Xena cycle working item. We will be checking and updating
the status biweekly on the same etherpad.
* Current status is: 9 completed, 3 to-be-discussed in PTG, 1 in-progress

Open Reviews
-----------------
* Four open reviews for ongoing activities[5].

Place to maintain the external hosted ELK, E-R, O-H services
* We continue the discussion[6] on final checks and updates from Allison. Below is the summary:

* Allison updated on the offer of the donated credits (45k/year from AWS) to run the ELK services.
* Current ELK stack will be migrated on OpenSearch (an open source fork of Elasticsearch) cluster
on AWS managed services.
* We discussed and agreed to start/move these ELK service work under TACT SIG with the help
of Daniel Pawlik, Ross Tomlinson, and Allison (along with Jeremy, Clark as backup/helping in migration).
* Allison will continue work on setting up the accounts.

* A huge thanks to Allison for driving and arranging the required resources.

Add project health check tool
-----------------------------------
* Using stats of review/code should not be the only criteria to decide the project health as it depends
on many other factors, including the nature of project.

* We agreed to use the generated stats only as an early warning tool and not to publish those anywhere
which can be wrongly interpreted as project health or so.

* We will continue discussing it in PTG for the next steps on this and what to do on TC liaison things.

* Meanwhile, we are reviewing Rico proposal on collecting stats tool[7].

Stable Core team process change
---------------------------------------
* Current proposal is under review[8]. Feel free to provide early feedback if you have any.

Call for 'Technical Writing' SIG Chair/Maintainers
* As you might have read in the email from Elod[9], Stephen, who is the current chair for this SIG is not planning
to continue to chair.

* This SIG has accomplished the work for what it was formed, and now most of the documentation are managed on projects
side. TC agreed to move this SIG to complete state and move the repos under TC (tc members will be added to
core group in those repos).
* Any advisory work on documentation which is what this SIG was doing, will be handle in TC.

TC tags analysis
-------------------
* Operator feedback is asked on open infra newsletter too, and we will continue the discussion in PTG and will take
the final decision based on feedback we receive, if any[10].

Project updates
-------------------
* Retiring js-openstack-lib [11]

Yoga release community-wide goal
* Please add the possible candidates in this etherpad [12].
* Current status: "Secure RBAC" is selected for Yoga cycle[13].

PTG planning
----------------
* We are collecting the PTG topics in etherpad[14], feel free to add any topic you would like to discuss.
* We discussed the live stream of one of the TC PTG sessions like we did last time. Once we have more
topics in etherpad, then we can select the appropriate one.

Test support for TLS default:
----------------------------------
* Rico has started a separate email thread over testing with tls-proxy enabled[15], we encourage projects
to participate in that testing and help to enable the tls-proxy in gate testing.

4. How to contact the TC:
====================
If you would like to discuss or give feedback to TC, you can reach out to us in multiple ways:

1. Email: you can send the email with tag [tc] on openstack-discuss ML[16].
2. Weekly meeting: The Technical Committee conduct a weekly meeting every Thursday 15 UTC [17]
3. Office hours: The Technical Committee offers a weekly office hour every Tuesday at 0100 UTC [18]
4. Ping us using 'tc-members' nickname on #openstack-tc IRC channel.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee#Next_Meeting
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/809011
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/808679
[4] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/tc-xena-tracke