python_requires >= 3.8 during Yoga

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Fri Nov 26 09:04:46 UTC 2021

On Thu, Nov 25 2021 at 06:48:37 PM +0000, Sean Mooney
<smooney at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-11-25 at 18:13 +0000, Stephen Finucane wrote:
>>  gmann has been helpfully proposing patches to change the versions
>> of Python
>>  we're testing against in Yoga. I've suggested that we might want to
>> bump
>>  'python_requires' in 'setup.cfg' to indicate that we no longer
>> support any
>>  version of Python before 3.8 [1]. As gmann has noted, doing so
>> would mean nova
>>  would no longer be installable on Python 3.6 or 3.7 and there has
>> been a small
>>  bit of back and forth on the pros and cons of this. I'm wondering
>> what other
>>  people's thoughts on this are. Is this something we should be
>> doing? Should we
>>  do it for libraries too or just services? Do we ever want to do
>> this? Thoughts,
>>  please!
>
> so i was advocating for dropping supprot for python below 3.8 this
> cycle so i woudl be at least
> in favor of offilly not supprot less then 3.8
>
> in terms of if wew shoudl add python_requries >= 3.8 to project im a
> littel less certin
>
> i think loss of 3.6 support is effectigly goign to happen via uages
> of 3.7 and 3.8 only feature anyway.
>
> there are a number of feature in python 3.8 vs 3.7 and 3.6
> https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.8.html
> https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.7.html

This is my view too. As soon as we turn off py36 testing somebody
unintentionally can propose a patch that uses py38+ only language
feature and the gate will not detect it and the reviewers might not
detect it either. As soon as we land such a patch the module becomes
unusable on system < py3.8 regardless of what we write in our setup.cfg.

Cheers,
gibi