[kolla] Plan to deprecate binary and unify on single distrubition

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Nov 19 12:02:01 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-11-19 at 19:27 +0800, Gregory Orange wrote:
> On 19/11/21 4:19 pm, Michał Nasiadka wrote:
> > > My globals.yaml has
> > > #kolla_install_type: "binary"
> > >
> > > So will this mean it needs to switch to 'source' from Yoga onward, and the containers will have to be built some how? Can you point me to something to read on that?
> > >
> > If that’s commented out, that means with Xena you will get source images deployed (during an upgrade or on a fresh install).
>
> So am I going to need to familiarise myself with some build process, such as https://docs.openstack.org/kolla/train/admin/image-building.html ?
no the soruce images are also published to docker/quay registryso if you are not building them today and pulling them from there it will work the same
if you are building image today there is no really different form a commandline point of view for source vs binary.
the main different is the soruce images install all the deps from pip and the servcis form the offical tarballs into a python virtual env within the contaianer image.
so unless you have explcitly set kolla_install_type: binay or the distroy you should not need to change anything hopefuly in your gobal.yaml ideally.