Freenode and libera.chat

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed May 26 20:29:12 UTC 2021

On 20/05/21 3:39 pm, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2021-05-20 21:28:26 +0200 (+0200), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> [...]
>> This is, indeed, not quite on-topic, but I'm advocating for
>> Matrix, mostly because that's where Mozilla went and because it
>> seems to check all the boxes.
> [...]
>
> It seems, from what little I've read, that Matrix servers can
> integrate with IRC server networks and bridge channels fairly
> seamlessly. If there were a Matrix bridge providing access to the
> same channels as people were participating in via IRC (wherever that
> happened to be), would that address your concerns?

Here's the problem: IRC authentication is a disaster.

Matrix authentication is decent by all accounts.

If you bridge a system with decent authentication to a system where
authentication is a disaster, you get a disaster (see also:
Schopenhauer's Law of Entropy).

IRC works fine for me and you because we made it fine by doing stuff
that has the effect of excluding casual users and new contributors.

Although I think OFTC was always a better choice than Freenode ever was,
the reality is that by moving there we will continue to exclude new
people in this way, plus we'll lose a few of the old people along the
way (and maybe even manage to completely fragment the community, judging
by some of the comments in this subthread).

IMHO by refusing to consider Matrix we are missing an opportunity to
make the community more open while only paying the cost of moving once.
Instead it appears we are going to pay the (community) cost without
getting any of the benefits.

cheers,
Zane.