Freenode and libera.chat

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu May 20 20:09:37 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-20 21:58:52 +0200 (+0200), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:41 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
[...]
> > It seems, from what little I've read, that Matrix servers can
> > integrate with IRC server networks and bridge channels fairly
> > seamlessly. If there were a Matrix bridge providing access to the
> > same channels as people were participating in via IRC (wherever that
> > happened to be), would that address your concerns?
>
> Not quite. It would probably solve the issues *for me*, but I've already
> solved most of my issues. If we still say "our official communication
> channel is IRC", that's what people will (try to) use.
>
> If we do get an easy "hey, press this button to talk to ironic folks", it
> may change my mind though. Right now it seems to be IRCCloud, but I'm a bit
> uneasy about recommending everyone to go through some private service,
> especially about putting something like that in our contributor's guide.

Well, I guess what I'm asking is, if there were a Matrix bridge for
the #openstack-ironic IRC channel, would that be sufficient for
Ironic to be able to update its documentation with an "easy button"
pointed at Matrix instead of IRC, and connect new users on Matrix
with traditional IRC users for discussion?
--
Jeremy Stanley