Freenode and libera.chat

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Thu May 20 19:58:52 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:41 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2021-05-20 21:28:26 +0200 (+0200), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> [...]
> > This is, indeed, not quite on-topic, but I'm advocating for
> > Matrix, mostly because that's where Mozilla went and because it
> > seems to check all the boxes.
> [...]
>
> It seems, from what little I've read, that Matrix servers can
> integrate with IRC server networks and bridge channels fairly
> seamlessly. If there were a Matrix bridge providing access to the
> same channels as people were participating in via IRC (wherever that
> happened to be), would that address your concerns?

Not quite. It would probably solve the issues *for me*, but I've already
solved most of my issues. If we still say "our official communication
channel is IRC", that's what people will (try to) use.

If we do get an easy "hey, press this button to talk to ironic folks", it
may change my mind though. Right now it seems to be IRCCloud, but I'm a bit
uneasy about recommending everyone to go through some private service,
especially about putting something like that in our contributor's guide.

Dmitry

--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael