Freenode and libera.chat

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed May 19 14:12:50 UTC 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 02:42:02PM +0100, Erno Kuvaja wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 2:34 PM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

[...]

> > Probably not the best timing, but should we consider (again) running a
> > more advanced free software chat system? E.g. Outreachy uses Zulip, Mozilla
> > - Matrix, there are probably more.
> >
> > Yeah I'd say not the greatest timing to start such a conversation under
> pressure.
>
> FWIF I'd rather not. The signal to noise ratio tends to be very poor on all
> of them with their stickers, gifs and all the active media crap embedded in
> them.

I agree that the dancing poop GIFs are very distracting.  So "yes" to
sticking with IRC given its strengths and simplicity.  Though, I'm
biased here as a long-time happy IRC user.

That said, two things:

  - Those who _do_ want to use Matrix seem to have an option in terms of
    Matrix <-> IRC bridge.  I see several people with [m] in their IRC
    nicks on #virt channel on OFTC network.  So people seem to
    successfully use IRC with Matrix.

  - IRC seems to give an outdated feel for many newcomers.  So if there
    are other "better" FOSS alternatives that accomodates our
    community's needs — and without alienating existing IRC users' needs
    — we should be willing to explore.  But I agree that this is not the
    right timing to start this discussion, and  I'm not even sure if
    this is a "real problem".

[...]

--
/kashyap