Freenode and libera.chat

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed May 19 13:40:53 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-19 15:30:04 +0200 (+0200), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
[...]
> Probably not the best timing, but should we consider (again)
> running a more advanced free software chat system? E.g. Outreachy
> uses Zulip, Mozilla - Matrix, there are probably more.
[...]

Feel free to try running anything you like, but discussions will
generally take place wherever they take place. Adding a new
communication platform doesn't mean everyone will switch to it.
After all, there are already OpenStack discussion spaces on Discord,
Slack, Reddit... but IRC as a protocol has survived and outlived its
earlier "killed replacements" by decades, so I expect it will
persist regardless of what else comes along.
--
Jeremy Stanley