Freenode and libera.chat

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed May 19 13:30:04 UTC 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 3:21 PM Erno Kuvaja <ekuvaja at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For those of you who have not woken up to this sad day yet. Andrew Lee has
> taken his stance as owner of freenode ltd. and by the (one sided) story of
> the former volunteer staff members basically forced the whole community out.
>
> As there is history of LTM shutting down networks before (snoonet), it is
> appropriate to expect that the intentions here are not aligned with the
> communities and specially the users who's data he has access to via this
> administrative takeover.
>
> I think it's our time to take swift action and show our support to all the
> hard working volunteers who were behind freenode and move all our
> activities to irc.libera.chat.

Probably not the best timing, but should we consider (again) running a more
advanced free software chat system? E.g. Outreachy uses Zulip, Mozilla -
Matrix, there are probably more.

Dmitry

--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael