[ironic] IPA image does not want to boot with UEFI

Vuk Gojnic vuk.gojnic at gmail.com
Wed May 12 12:30:47 UTC 2021

Hello everybody,

I have finally found the root cause of the problem. It is indeed in
the size of "initramfs" that ironic-python-agent-builder produces.
They are all normally 350-420 MB large (compressed). However, since
boot protocol 2.03 kernel explicitly limits highest initrd address
available to the bootloader
(https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/x86/boot.txt), thus limits
the size of initrd that could be used. Therefore none of production
IPA initramfs images from official location:
https://tarballs.openstack.org/ironic-python-agent/dib/files/, nor
custom made by ironic-python-agent-builder can not boot. The
bootloader is just crashing on them.

When I turned to TinyIPA from here:
https://tarballs.openstack.org/ironic-python-agent/tinyipa/files/
(which are explicitly marked not for production), it worked well and
booted the IPA. So I will proceed with Tiny, but it might be useful to
give hint of to others.

Thanks anyway for support from everybody here.

See you!

-Vuk

They are in the range of 400MB