[Horizon][Victoria][ops] - Scope based policies in Horizon not working

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 00:33:08 UTC 2021

Hi,

Horizon does not support the system-scoped token yet as of Victoria
and coming Wallaby.

Horizon talks with various services. Some services support the
system-scoped token and
some do not. It is not easy to handle such kind of mixed situations.
As of Victoria, keystone and nova support the system-scoped token but
other services do not.
We can fall back to the project-scoped token with admin role, but many
considerations are
still needed. This is the reason of the slow progress in horizon.

Victoria horizon also does not understand deprecated policy rules
defined as policy-in-code.
This was addressed in Wallaby, so we can use the same version of
policy.yaml in keystone and horizon.
However, horizon still does not handle the system-scoped token and
horizon still depends on
deprecated rules (rather than the system-scope aware rules).
The horizon team recognizes this is the most important feature gap and
will do the best to address it in Xena cycle.

Thanks,
Akihiro Motoki (irc: amotoki)