[Nova][FFE] Smart-nic support

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Fri Mar 12 09:51:25 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 15:18, yonglihe <yongli.he at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,  Everyone
>
> Smart nics management involved Nova, Neutron and Cyborg. After 2
> releases of discussing, coding and reviewing, we have merged Cyborg
> and Neutron support. Nova patches also got lots of attention and had
> many rounds of review, plus several +2.
>
> I hope we could merge Nova patches also in this release. The
> following is the Nova patches topic, individual patches links, and
> related resources links
>
> Now we blocked by lots of comments when reaching to the end of the
> feature freeze. Those comments could be addressed in 2-3 days, then
> we could get 3 more rounds review, very likely we could make it by
> RC1.
>
> Those comments include:
> • functional test -- released already.
> • minor typo, text changes, and needs more code comments
> • several codes flow refactor request
> • how to store arq-uuid
>

> ==nova patch topic link:
> https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:%22bp%252Fsriov-smartnic-support%22+(status:open%20OR%20status:merged)
>
> ==nova individual patch link:
> 1) smartnic support - cyborg drive: two +2
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/771362
>
> 2) smartnic support - new vnic type: rounds review
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/771363
>
> 3) smartnic support: main patch rounds review, one +2
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/758944
>
> 4) smartnic support - reject server move and suspend, one +2
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/779913
>
> 5) smartnic support - functional tests
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/780147
>

> == resource:
> 1) blueprint sriov-smartnic-support
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/sriov-smartnic-support
>
> 2) Approved spec: merged
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova-specs/+/742785
>
> 3) Cyborg NIC driver: merged
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cyborg/+/758942
>
> 4) neutron patch sets: merged
> neutron patch set: merged
> https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:%22bug%252F1906602%22+
>
> 5) neutron-lib: merged
> Add new VNIC types for Cyborg provisioned ports
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron-lib/+/768324
>
> 6) neutron ml2 plugin support: merged
> [SR-IOV] Add support for ACCELERATOR_DIRECT VNIC type
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron/+/779292

We talked about this on IRC[1] this morning. In summary there are
couple of sizable changes needed in the series which pushes the
expected readiness of the patches to mid next week. As the series has
OVO changes we feel this is too risky to merge close to RC1. So we
agreed with Yongli to defer this feature to Xena.

Cheers,
gibi

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-nova/%23openstack-nova.2021-03-12.log.html#t2021-03-12T09:12:23