[manila] [FFE] Request for "Update cephfs drivers to use ceph-mgr" and "create share from snapshot support for CephFS"

Goutham Pacha Ravi gouthampravi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 00:45:04 UTC 2021

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 1:05 PM Victoria Martínez de la Cruz
<victoria at vmartinezdelacruz.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask for an FFE for the RFEs "Update cephfs drivers to use ceph-mgr" [0] and "Create share from snapshot support for CephFS" [1]
>
> Both RFEs are related.
>
> The first one updates the cephfs drivers to use the ceph-mgr interface for all manila operations. This change is required since the library currently used is already deprecated and it is expected to be removed in the next Ceph release.
>
> The second one leverages the previous one and adds a new functionality available through the ceph-mgr interface which is the create share from snapshot support.
>
> We have been working on both features for two cycles already and we could use a few more days to finish the testing.

Thank you for your work on this for the past two cycles. It is
difficult to coordinate changes within CephFS and manila at the same
time.
The ceph community dropping support for ceph_volume_client does put
manila users of CephFS in peril when they have to upgrade ceph in a
future release. Since we don't know how long the Wallaby release will
be used by our users, I don't mind us taking this extra time to test
your refactor.

The work here, per [0] and [1] should only affect an optional backend
driver in manila, and adds no new requirements; nor does it affect
other projects or clients. Is that correct? Since Manila doesn't get
translations, we don't have the risk of introducing user facing
strings in this driver code. So I'm okay with approving this FFE.
Please ensure we can wrap this up early so we have sufficient time to
test after these changes are merged.