[kolla-ansible] partial upgrades / mixed releases in deployments

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Fri Mar 5 08:49:17 UTC 2021

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 at 16:44, Erik Panter <E.Panter at mittwald.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are currently preparing to upgrade a kolla-ansible deployed
> OpenStack cluster and were wondering if it is possible to upgrade
> individual services independently of each other, for example to
> upgrade one service at a time to Ussuri while still using
> kolla-ansible to deploy and reconfigure the Train versions of the
> other services.
>
> Our idea was that either the Ussuri release of kolla-ansible is used
> to deploy Train and Ussuri services (with properly migrated
> configuration), or that two different releases and configurations are
> used for the two sets of services in the same deployment.
>
> Does anyone have experience if this is practical or even possible?

Hi Erik,

In general, this might work, however it's not something we test or
"support", so it cannot be guaranteed. Generally there are not too
many changes in how services are deployed from release to release, but
there are times when procedures change, configuration changes, or we
may introduce incompatibilities between the container images and the
Ansible deployment tooling. At runtime, there is also the operation of
services in a mixed environment to consider, although stable
components and APIs help here. All of that is to say that such a
configuration would need testing, and ideally not be in place for a
long period of time.

One similar case we often have is upgrading a single service, often
Magnum, to a newer release than the rest of the cloud. To achieve this
we set the magnum_tag variable.

Mark