[docs] Project guides in PDF format

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Mar 3 20:30:27 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-03 15:05:10 -0500 (-0500), Peter Matulis wrote:
[...]
> How do I get a download PDF link like what is available in the
> published pages of the Nova project? Where is that documented?
>
> In short, yes, I am interested in having downloadable PDFs for the
> projects that I maintain:
>
> https://opendev.org/openstack/charm-guide
> https://opendev.org/openstack/charm-deployment-guide

The official goal document is still available here:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/train/pdf-doc-generation.html

Some technical detail can also be found in the earlier docs spec:

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/ocata/build-pdf-from-rst-guides.html

A bit of spelunking in Git history turns up, for example, this
change implementing PDF generation for openstack/ironic (you can
find plenty more if you hunt):

https://review.opendev.org/680585

I expect you would just do something similar to that. If memory
serves (it's been a couple years now), each project hit slightly
different challenges as no two bodies of documentation are every
quite the same. You'll likely have to dig deep occasionally in
Sphinx and LaTeX examples to iron things out.

One thing which would have been nice as an output of that cycle goal
was if the PTI section for documentation was updated with related
technical guidance on building PDFs, but it's rather lacking in that
department still:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/project-testing-interface.html#documentation

If you can come up with a succinct summary for what's needed, I
expect adding it there would be really useful to others too.
--
Jeremy Stanley