Question about Ubuntu Server

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Mar 1 20:00:35 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-01 16:46:45 -0300 (-0300), Eduardo Almeida Costa wrote:
> At my workplace, we will migrate from CentOS to Ubuntu Server.
>
> However, reading about it on forums and official documentation, it
> was not clear to me which version of Ubuntu Server is best for the
> production medium, 18.04 or 20.04.
>
> Can someone tell me what better version I can implement for
> production servers?

Both 18.04 and 20.04 are "long-term support" releases, meaning
Canonical will continue to provide security updates and other bug
fixes in them for longer than the intermediate versions. 20.04 is,
as its number would seem to indicate, newer than 18.04 (by roughly
two years), so I wouldn't choose the older version unless you
specifically need to run older software on it which won't work on
the newer one for some reason.

Since you posted this to the OpenStack discussion mailing list, I
assume you're planning to install some version of OpenStack on
Ubuntu. If so, you should look at our tested runtimes to see which
platform was used to test the version of OpenStack you want to run:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/project-testing-interface.html#tested-runtimes

--
Jeremy Stanley