[infra][release] delete old EOL'd stable branches

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jan 27 16:58:31 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-27 12:06:41 +0100 (+0100), Előd Illés wrote:
> When Extended Maintenance process was created, there was no clear
> decision whether EOL (and branch deletion) is needed afterwards or
> not. But one thing we saw is that if a branch was EOL'd and still
> open, then patches arrived, and even some got approved which
> caused errors + confusions. Also, if the branch is open and
> periodic jobs are not deleted, then those are still running day by
> day. In this case only the branch deletion is the solution (as
> clearly those branches cannot accept job fixing patches).
>
> Though, you are right that if we don't even tag a branch with
> '$series-eol', then the above issue does not come. So
> theoretically we could forget about the 'eol' process, it would
> not cause any issue in my understanding. The periodic jobs needs
> to be deleted from .zuul.yaml of course, and maybe some other
> cleanup, otherwise it is possible. That's true. I can accept this,
> and this was my concept, too, in the beginning.
[...]

Deleting the branch serves a couple of purposes for visibility:
first, as noted, people will get an error when trying to push a
change for them; but second, consumers of those branches will
actually no longer be able to pull from them nor check them out, and
will have to switch to checking out the -eol tag for them instead,
which makes it very clear that we are no longer developing on them.
--
Jeremy Stanley