[infra][release] delete old EOL'd stable branches

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 26 17:32:26 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-26 17:52:07 +0100 (+0100), Előd Illés wrote:
[...]
> 1. I've used the list_eol_stale_branches.sh [2] script to get the list of
> such not-yet-deleted branches for Ocata [3]. They are all tagged with
> 'ocata-eol', but stable/ocata branch still exists for them. Could you please
> delete these? [3]

I'm happy to, have you made sure any open reviews for those branches
are abandoned first? Gerrit won't allow deletion of a branch with
open reviews.

> 2. On the Release Team meeting [1] we were hinted that with the newer
> version of gerrit (that was installed at the end of November) some
> automation is possible through gerrit API in the future. Can I get some help
> about where should I start with the automation? Which repository should I
> look, where can the deletion being triggered ("similarly like branch
> creation")?
[...]

The Gerrit REST API method for deleting branches is documented here:

https://review.opendev.org/Documentation/rest-api-projects.html#delete-branch

I'm not immediately sure where branch creation happens in the forest
of our release automation, but I would expect deletion could be
implemented similarly. Hopefully someone more intimately familiar
with those jobs can chime in.

The access control we'll need to grant to automation so that it can
call that is documented here:

https://review.opendev.org/Documentation/access-control.html#category_delete

It'll need to be added manually as a permission for the Release
Managers group in our All-Projects global ACL which individual
projects inherit, and this documentation updated accordingly:

https://opendev.org/opendev/system-config/src/branch/master/doc/source/gerrit.rst

Happy to answer other questions as they arise.
--
Jeremy Stanley