[Octavia] Network issue between amphora and health manager port

CHANU ROMAIN romain.chanu at univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Jan 21 14:31:31 UTC 2021

Hello,

I try to install Octavia and i'm facing an issue with octavia-health-
manager-listen-port interface.

I use Openstack Ussuri on Ubuntu 18.04 with linuxbridge plugin I
followed this procedure:
https://docs.openstack.org/octavia/latest/install/install-ubuntu.html#install-and-configure-components

When I try to create my loadbalancer I got this error:

WARNING octavia.amphorae.drivers.haproxy.rest_api_driver [-] Could not
connect to instance. Retrying.: requests.exceptions.ConnectionError:
HTTPSConnectionPool(host='10.244.3.243', port=9443): Max retries
exceeded with url: // (Caused by
NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object
at 0x7fe1ec077080>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 113]
No route to host',))

From my interface "o-hm0" I cannot ping 10.244.3.243 but if I try to
ping from DHCP namespace it works fine.

I think the problem is my "octavia-health-manager-listen-port" port
appears "DOWN" when I list every ports.

I figured out than Neutron didnt update iptables rules, probably
because the interface is DOWN but if I add these rules:

iptables -A neutron-linuxbri-FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-out o-bhm0 --
physdev-is-bridged -m comment --comment "Accept all packets when port
is trusted." -j ACCEPT
iptables -A neutron-linuxbri-FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-in o-bhm0 --
physdev-is-bridged -m comment --comment "Accept all packets when port
is trusted." -j ACCEPT

Amphora is able to communication with health manager port then the
loadbalancer becomes UP but now I got this WARNING:
2021-01-21 15:27:21.230 2999834 WARNING
octavia.amphorae.drivers.health.heartbeat_udp [-] Health Manager
experienced an exception processing a heartbeat message from
('10.244.3.243', 30684). Ignoring this packet. Exception: 'NoneType'
object has no attribute 'encode'

I guess it's all about the port being stuck in DOWN state.  Do you have
any input how to configure this port?

Best regards,
Romain