[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Jay S. Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 18:45:02 UTC 2021

On 1/8/2021 11:04 AM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> [...]
>> in the l-c job, cinder deliverables haven't been using anything other than
>> foo>=16.0 since rocky.  So in master, I took advantage of having to revise
>> requirements and l-c to make some major jumps in minimum versions.  And I'm
>> thinking of doing a pip-freeze requirements.txt minimum version update from
>> now on at M-3 each cycle, which will force me to make an l-c.txt update too.
>> (Maybe I was supposed to be doing that all along?  Or maybe it's a bad idea?
>> I could use some guidance here.)
>>
>> It would be good for the l-c to reflect reality, but on the other hand,
>> updating the minimum versions in requirements.txt (and hence in l-c) too
>> aggressively probably won't help packagers at all.  (Or maybe it will, I
>> don't know.)  On the other hand, having the l-c is useful from the
>> standpoint of letting you know when your minimum acceptable version in
>> requirements.txt will break your unit tests.  But if we're updating the
>> minimum versions of dependencies every cycle to known good minimum versions,
>> an l-c failure is going to be pretty rare, so maybe it's not worth the
>> trouble of maintaining the l-c.txt and CI job.
>>
>> One other thing: if we do keep l-c, we need to have some guidance about
>> what's actually supposed to be in there.  (Or I need to RTFM.)  I've noticed
>> that as we've added new dependencies to cinder, we've included the
>> dependency in l-c.txt, but not its indirect dependencies.  I guess we should
>> have been adding the indirect dependencies all along, too? (Spoiler alert:
>> we haven't.)
>>
>> This email has gotten too long, so I will shut up now.
>>
>> cheers,
>> brian
>>
>>> Few of the ML thread around this discussion:
>>>
>>> - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-December/019521.html
>>> - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-December/019390.html
>>>
>>> As Oslo and many other project dropping or already dropped it, we should decide it for all
>>> other projects also otherwise it can be more changing than it is currently.
>>>
>>> We have not defined it in PTI or testing runtime so it is always up to projects if they still
>>> want to keep it but we should decide a general recommendation here.
>>>
>>> -gmann
>>>

> /requirements hat
>
> l-c was mainly promoted as a way to know when you are using a feature
> that is not in an old release.  The way we generally test is with newer
> constraints, which don't test what we state we support (the range
> between the lower bound in requirements.txt and upper-contraints).
>
> While I do think it's useful to know that the range of versions of a
> library needs to be updated... I understand that it may not be useful,
> either because of the possible maintenance required by devs, the load on
> the testing infrastructure generated by testing lower-constraints or
> that downstream packagers do not use it.

I am in the same boat as Brian that the lower-constraints have never
made much sense to me.  The documentation you share above is helpful to
understand how everything works but I think it maybe needs to be
enhanced as it isn't clear to me as a Cinder team member what I should
do to avoid breakages.

If we can add some documentation and guidance as to how to maintain
these in the branches to avoid a major breakage like this in the future
I think it would be a useful effort.

Jay