[oslo][TC] Dropping lower-constraints testing

hberaud hberaud at redhat.com
Fri Dec 18 14:54:26 UTC 2020

Hello,

As you already surely know, we (the openstack project) currently face some
issues with our lower-constraints jobs due to pip's latest resolver feature.

By discussing this topic with Thierry Carrez (ttx) from an oslo point of
view, we reached the same conclusion that it is more appropriate to drop
this kind of tests because the complexity and recurring pain needed to
maintain them now exceeds the benefits provided by this mechanismes.

Also we should notice that the number of active maintainers is declining,
so we think that this is the shortest path to solve this problem on oslo
for now and for the future too.

In a first time I tried to fix our gates by fixing our lower-constraints
project by project but with around ~36 projects to maintain this is a
painful task, especially due to nested oslo layers inside oslo himself... I
saw the face of the hell of dependencies.

So, in a second time I submitted a series of patches to drop these tests
[1].

But before moving further with that we would appreciate discussing this
with the TC. For now the patches are ready and we just have to push the
good button accordingly to our choices (+W or abandon).

Normally all the oslo projects that need to be fixed are covered by [1].

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

[1]
https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:%22oslo_lc_drop%22+(status:open%20OR%20status:merged)