[all] Gate resources and performance

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Feb 10 19:46:46 UTC 2021

On 2/9/21 6:59 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> This seemed like a good time to finally revisit
>> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/devstack/+/676016 (the OSC as a
>> service patch). Turns out it wasn't as much work to reimplement as I
>> had expected, but hopefully this version addresses the concerns with
>> the old one.
>>
>> In my local env it takes about 3:45 off my devstack run. Not a huge
>> amount by itself, but multiplied by thousands of jobs it could be
>> significant.
>
> I messed with doing this myself, I wish I had seen yours first. I never
> really got it to be stable enough to consider it usable because of how
> many places in devstack we use the return code of an osc command. I
> could get it to trivially work, but re-stacks and other behaviors
> weren't quite right. Looks like maybe your version does that properly?

It seems to. I had an issue at one point when I wasn't shutting down the
systemd service during unstack, but I haven't seen any problems since I
fixed that. I've done quite a few devstack runs on the same node with no
failures.

> Anyway, I moved on to a full parallelization of devstack, which largely
> lets me run all the non-dependent osc commands in parallel, in addition
> to all kinds of other stuff (like db syncs and various project
> setup). So far, that effort is giving me about a 60% performance
> improvement over baseline, and I can do a minimal stack on my local
> machine in about five minutes:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/devstack/+/771505/

Ah, that's nice. The speedup from the parallel execution series alone
was pretty comparable to just the client service in my (old and slow) env.

> I think we've largely got agreement to get that merged at this point,
> which as you say, will definitely make some significant improvements
> purely because of how many times we do that in a day. If your OaaS can
> support parallel requests, I'd definitely be interested in pursuing that
> on top, although I think I've largely squeezed out the startup delay we
> see when we run like eight osc instances in parallel during keystone
> setup :)

Surprisingly, it does seem to work. I suspect it serializes handling the
multiple client calls, but it works and is still faster than just the
parallel patch alone (again, in my env). The client service took about a
minute off the parallel runtime.

Here's the timing I see locally:
Vanilla devstack: 775
Client service alone: 529
Parallel execution: 527
Parallel client service: 465

Most of the difference between the last two is shorter async_wait times
because the deployment steps are taking less time. So not quite as much
as before, but still a decent increase in speed.