[ops][largescale-sig] How many compute nodes in a single cluster ?

Arnaud Morin arnaud.morin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:37:13 UTC 2021

Hey all,

I will start the answers :)

At OVH, our hard limit is around 1500 hypervisors on a region.
It also depends a lot on number of instances (and neutron ports).
The effects if we try to go above this number:
- load on control plane (db/rabbit) is increasing a lot
- "burst" load is hard to manage (e.g. restart of all neutron agent or
  nova computes is putting a high pressure on control plane)
- and of course, failure domain is bigger

Note that we dont use cells.
We are deploying multiple regions, but this is painful to manage /
understand for our clients.
We are looking for a solution to unify the regions, but we did not find
anything which could fit our needs for now.

Cheers,

--
Arnaud Morin