[kolla-ansible] Running Docker Swarm with Kuryr networking

Paolo Celati paolo at celati.com
Tue Aug 31 22:14:03 UTC 2021

Hi,

   long story short I have a 3 node Openstack cluster that I manage with
kolla-ansible, and I'd like to run Docker Swarm on that as well.  I am
aware Magnum exists, but I'd first like to get my head around this
simpler case.

Seeing as I'd like to connect Docker containers from swarm compose files
to Neutron networks I'm trying to set up Kuryr together with a swarm
configuration.  However the documentation is a little scarce
<https://docs.openstack.org/kolla-ansible/latest/reference/containers/kuryr-guide.html>
and I'd prefer running everything on these three hosts, including etcd.
If I follow the guide and pass --cluster-store and --cluster-advertise
arguments to dockerd then I can't run Docker in Swarm mode because I get
an error saying Swarm is incompatible with those options, and at the
same time it's not clear from documentation how you are expected to do
Kuryr+Swarm.  I did initialise the Swarm cluster before trying to add
Kuryr, so I don't know if perhaps doing this the other way works?  Do
you have ideas or advice with this scenario?  If worst comes to worst I
can set up an external etcd cluster on a separate non-Openstack cluster
but I'd rather avoid that.

Thanks in advance,

Paolo