RabbitMQ performance improvement for single-control node

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Fri Aug 27 08:47:59 UTC 2021

Hi *,

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help identifying some
tweaks, if possible at all.

This is a single control node environment with 19 compute nodes which
are heavily used. It's still running on Pike and we won't be able to
update until complete redeployment.
I was able to improve the performance a lot by increasing the number
of workers etc., but to me it seems the next bottleneck is rabbitmq.
The rabbit process shows heavy CPU usage, almost constantly around
150% according to 'top' and I see heartbeat errors in the logs (e.g.
cinder). Since there are so many config options I haven't touched them
yet. Reading some of the tuning docs often refer to HA environments
which is not the case here.

I can paste some of the config snippets, maybe that already helps
identifying anything:

# nova.conf

[oslo_messaging_rabbit]
pool_max_size = 1600