[i18n] Zanata

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Aug 4 22:47:44 UTC 2021

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021, at 3:07 PM, Jimmy McArthur wrote:
> Apologies for the delayed response here, but the user I'm trying to
> help is indeed unable to log in to Zanata.  We've set up a temporary
> password for them and I've tried myself and it's basically a loop.  It
> says there is already an account with that name, but it won't let him
> log in, it keeps pointing him to the screen to create a new account.
>
> Here's a link to a video demonstrating the problem.  I've tried myself
> with their credentials and get the same:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iE0iWoYgTb5zk3SzP8oB5aYrtplRqlEm/view?usp=sharing
> CC'ing Han Guangyu, the user with the issue.
>
> Any help appreciated!  Their company is looking to start contributing
> to i18n team, so it would be great if we could get them going :)

Sorry, I missed this thread initially as it was was sent to the [i18n] label. The OpenDev/OpenStack infra team run the Zanata server, in the future sending email to service-discuss at lists.opendev.org is more likely to get eyeballs on this sort of thing. It also helps if people having problems reach out directly so that we don't resort to playing telephone and missing important information.

Looking at the attached video, the error is that a user with the specified email address already exists. Looking at the database I see that there are records for this email address in the HAccount and HPerson tables but no openstackid openid is associated with this account in the HCredentials table.

On closer inspection of the records that are present I note there is a password hash set, but there shouldn't be any password hashes if openstackid openid is used to login and create the account. I think what happened is somehow an account was created directly and not via openid. Now when attempting to login with openid there is a conflict because an account already has that email address. It would be good to understand how this happened if possible so that we can avoid it for the future.

As far as fixing this account goes I suspect that if we delete the existing account then the next login attempt will be able to successfully create a new account with the associated openid. I don't know that we've ever done this before so coordinating this deletion when login can be reattempted is a good idea.

Finally, it is worth noting that the translation tooling needs help, not just the translations themselves. Unfortunately the software we are using for this is no longer maintained and ideally needs to be replaced.