placement service issue (placement-status upgrade check failure)

Deepak Mohanty dmohanty at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 05:52:59 UTC 2021

I need your help with installation of placement service on Ubuntu 20.04. I
have followed the steps in:
https://docs.openstack.org/placement/wallaby/install/install-ubuntu.html

I am facing the following issue when I try to verify the installation:
$ placement-status upgrade check
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/oslo_upgradecheck/upgradecheck.py",
line 196, in run
    return conf.command.action_fn()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/oslo_upgradecheck/upgradecheck.py",
line 104, in check
    result = func_name(self, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/oslo_upgradecheck/common_checks.py",
line 41, in check_policy_json
    policy_path = conf.find_file(conf.oslo_policy.policy_file)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/oslo_config/cfg.py", line 2543, in
find_file
    raise NotInitializedError()
oslo_config.cfg.NotInitializedError: call expression on parser has not been
invoked

I did a bit of debugging and found that the policy file is: policy.json. I
could not find any policy.json on my machine. I created an empty
policy.json at: /etc/placement/policy.json (user and group = placement).
That too did not work.

I have followed the steps in the install guide twice, deleting the
placement database and other resources and recreating them. I continue to
see the same issue.

Thank you for your time.