[ops][cinder] ceph version survey for operators

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:52:29 UTC 2020

Hello Cinder operators,

tl;dr - if you use Ceph with your Cinder installation, please fill out
this short (4 question) survey before 18:00 UTC on Wednesday 28 October
2020:
     https://rosmaita.wufoo.com/forms/ceph-version-survey/

Cinder currently contains an RBD driver that supports a Ceph backend,
but it does not restrict Ceph to a particular range of versions. We'd
like to take advantage of recent developments in Ceph to make some
improvements to the RBD driver, but first want to gather data on what
versions of Ceph are actually being used with Cinder so we can figure
out backward compatibility issues we may face. (Basically, keeping
backward compatibility for Ceph versions that don't have the new
features will add complexity to the driver code, and more complex code
is more likely to have bugs, and nobody likes bugs. Hence, we don't want
to carry compatibility code for Ceph versions that no one is using.)

If you manage multiple clouds, please fill out a separate survey for
each cloud.

We plan to discuss this issue at the PTG next week, so please respond
before 18:00 UTC on Wednesday 28 October 2020.

Here's the survey:
     https://rosmaita.wufoo.com/forms/ceph-version-survey/

Thank you!