[ops] [cinder] __DEFAULT__ volume type

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Mon Oct 19 08:18:45 UTC 2020

Hi,

> What do you mean by "updating the respective table"? The optimal way
> to update a volume with a volume type is:
> 1) create a volume type pointing to the backend in which the volume
> currently is
> 2) retype the volume to that volume type

I know that one can retype an existing volume but in my case we were
in the middle of a migration of the whole cloud environment, so the
services were not up yet while the old control node was already
shutdown. So I had to update the cinder table directly in the database
in order to get cinder services up.

> The functionality to delete the __DEFAULT__ type is only available since
> cinder train >= 15.4.0
> (See the releasenotes for more info regarding the __DEFAULT__ type[1])
> Also you need to have a valid value defined with ``default_volume_type`` in
> cinder.conf
> Let me know if you have respective settings and still not able to delete
> the __DEFAULT__ type.

I haven't tried to delete it yet since we still have active volumes in
our environment. I will start to retype them one by one before
deleting the __DEFAULT__ type, but that may take a while.

Thanks!
Eugen