Fwd: [ops] [cinder] __DEFAULT__ volume type

Rajat Dhasmana rdhasman at redhat.com
Sun Oct 18 07:37:58 UTC 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rajat Dhasmana <rdhasman at redhat.com>
Date: Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 12:31 AM
Subject: Re: [ops] [cinder] __DEFAULT__ volume type
To: Massimo Sgaravatto <massimo.sgaravatto at gmail.com>

Hi Massimo,

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 7:42 PM Massimo Sgaravatto <
massimo.sgaravatto at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have recently updated my Cloud from Rocky to Train (I am running Cinder
> v. 15.4.0)
> I have a question concerning the __DEFAULT__ volume type, that I don't
> remember to have seen before.

Since Train, cinder has decided to discourage untyped volumes (volumes with
None volume type) as it doesn't add any value to the volume attributes. To
achieve this, we created the __DEFAULT__ type and migrated all untyped
volumes to have the __DEFAULT__ type.

> Since:
> - I have no volumes using this volume type
> - I defined in in the [DEFAULT] section of cinder.conf the attribute
> "default_volume_type" to a value different than "__DEFAULT___"
>
> I assume that I can safely delete the __DEFAULT__ volume type
>
> Is this correct?

Yes, as long as there are no volumes using it and there is a valid volume
type defined with ``default_volume_type`` config in cinder.conf, you can
safely delete it.
NOTE: ``default_volume_type`` has a default value of ``__DEFAULT__`` to not
allow users to further create untyped volumes, if you are deleting this,
make sure there is always a valid volume type defined with
``default_volume_type`` in cinder.conf

> Thanks, Massimo

Thanks and Regards
Rajat Dhasmana