[ops][nova][designate] Does anyone rely on fully-qualified instance names?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Nov 30 18:16:56 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-30 10:13:00 -0800 (-0800), Michael Johnson wrote:
[...]
> So, I think I am in alignment with Sean. The hostname component should
> return a 400 if there is an illegal character in the string, such as a
> period. We also should use Punycode to store/handle unicode hostnames
> correctly.
[...]

So to be clear, you're suggesting that if someone asks for an
instance name which can't be converted to a (legal) hostname, then
the nova boot call be rejected outright, even though there are
likely plenty of people who 1. (manually) align their instance names
with FQDNs, and 2. don't use the hostname metadata anyway?
--
Jeremy Stanley