[ops][nova][designate] Does anyone rely on fully-qualified instance names?

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 18:13:00 UTC 2020

I think we should align to the RFCs.

First thing to note is hostnames do not have the same rules as domain names.

For terminology purposes, I will use the RFC terminology:
<hostname>.<domain name>

RFC 952 [1] and RFC 1123 [2] define the valid strings for a hostname.
A short summary is alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus sign (-) up to
255 characters.

Internationalized hostnames are converted to these rules using
Punycode [3]. This is also true for domain names.

One of the most common differences between hostnames and domain names
is underscores. Underscore is invalid in a hostname, but valid in a
domain name.

So, I think I am in alignment with Sean. The hostname component should
return a 400 if there is an illegal character in the string, such as a
period. We also should use Punycode to store/handle unicode hostnames
correctly.

Michael

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc952
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1123#page-13