[telemetry] wallaby cycle planning session

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Mon Nov 23 09:30:33 UTC 2020

On 23/11/2020 09:30, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 11/23/20 8:54 AM, Matthias Runge wrote:
>> Personally, I wouldn't check gnocchi on the scalable bullet. (I'm eager
>> to hear your success stories, that would make things much easier).
>
> Maybe you should read this:
> https://julien.danjou.info/gnocchi-4-performance/
>
> Julien Danjou pretends Gnocchi is able to eat 100k record per second. I
> wouldn't bet on this, but that's probably enough for OpenStack.
>
> Though the biggest bottleneck is probably the notification bus, not the
> time series. I've heard that switching to kafka may help, but I'm really
> not a fan of this "solution" (which IMO isn't one, as Kafka brings its
> own set of problems).

all of this should be discussed in the community and also decided on. If
we pick gnocchi, then we should also buy in and help out. I know that
friendly and fellow OpenStackers already contribute there, which doesn't
mean that there could or should be more helping hands.

>> Or let me rephrase this: it seems to be easier to achieve ingesting much
>> more metrics per time interval e.g by using prometheus and at the same
>> time using less hardware resources.
>
> Prometheus is already in Debian, and it's been there for the last 2
> releases, so I'd be ok switching to it. However, you'd have to provide a
> migration path for those already using Gnocchi.

If there has to be a migration path, that's also up for discussion. We
are not a service provider here, we are simply providing the software.

And as for all software, a new release may also bring backwards
incompatible changes....

Matthias