[telemetry] wallaby cycle planning session

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Nov 23 08:30:23 UTC 2020

On 11/23/20 8:54 AM, Matthias Runge wrote:
> Personally, I wouldn't check gnocchi on the scalable bullet. (I'm eager
> to hear your success stories, that would make things much easier).

Maybe you should read this:
https://julien.danjou.info/gnocchi-4-performance/

Julien Danjou pretends Gnocchi is able to eat 100k record per second. I
wouldn't bet on this, but that's probably enough for OpenStack.

Though the biggest bottleneck is probably the notification bus, not the
time series. I've heard that switching to kafka may help, but I'm really
not a fan of this "solution" (which IMO isn't one, as Kafka brings its
own set of problems).

> Or let me rephrase this: it seems to be easier to achieve ingesting much
> more metrics per time interval e.g by using prometheus and at the same
> time using less hardware resources.

Prometheus is already in Debian, and it's been there for the last 2
releases, so I'd be ok switching to it. However, you'd have to provide a
migration path for those already using Gnocchi.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)