[release][infra] Discrepancy between release jobs and the "normal" jobs CI in terms of distro

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Nov 13 17:20:44 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-13 13:58:18 +0100 (+0100), Radosław Piliszek wrote:
[...]
> I believe it would be a rare situation but surely testing something on
> Bionic and trying to release on Focal might have its quirks.

Honestly, I think the real problem here is that we have a bunch of
unnecessary cruft in the release-openstack-python job held over from
when we used to use tox to create release artifacts. If you look
through the log of a successful build you'll see that we're not
actually running tox or installing the projects being released, but
we're using the ensure-tox and bindep roles anyway. We may not even
need ensure-pip in there. The important bits of the job are that it
checks out the correct state of the repository and then runs
`python3 setup.py sdist bdist_wheel` and then pulls the resulting
files back to the executor to be published. That should be fairly
consistent no matter what project is being built and no matter what
distro it's being built on.
--
Jeremy Stanley