[tc][all][searchlight ] Retiring the Searchlight project

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Nov 10 22:37:25 UTC 2020

 ---- On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 15:12:33 -0600 Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote ----
 > On 11/10/20 8:15 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 > > Hello Everyone,
 > >
 > > As you know, Searchlight is a leaderless project for the Wallaby cycle, which means there is no PTL
 > > candidate to lead it in the Wallaby cycle. 'No PTL' and no liaisons for DPL model is one of the criteria
 > > which triggers TC to start checking the health, maintainers of the project for dropping the project
 > > from OpenStack Governance[1].
 > >
 > > TC discussed the leaderless project in PTG[2] and checked if the project has maintainers and
 > > what activities are done in the Victoria development cycle. It seems no functional changes in Searchlight
 > > repos except few gate fixes or community goal commits[3].
 > >
 > > Based on all these checks and no maintainer for Searchlight, TC decided to drop this project from OpenStack
 > > governance in the Wallaby cycle.  Ref: Mandatory Repository Retirement resolution [4] and the detailed process
 > > is in the project guide docs [5].
 > >
 > > If your organization product/customer use/rely on this project then this is the right time to step forward to
 > > maintain it otherwise from the Wallaby cycle, Searchlight will move out of OpenStack governance by keeping their
 > > repo under OpenStack namespace with an empty master branch with 'Not Maintained' message in README.
 > > If someone from old or new maintainers shows interest to continue its development then it can be re-added
 > > to OpenStack governance.
 > >
 > > With that thanks to Searchlight contributors and PTLs for maintaining this project.
 > >
 > > [1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/dropping-projects.html
 > > [2] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/tc-wallaby-ptg
 > > [3] https://www.stackalytics.com/?release=victoria&module=searchlight-group&metric=commits
 > > [4] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20190711-mandatory-repository-retirement.html
 > > [5] https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/repository.html#retiring-a-repository
 > >
 > > -gmann
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > When some projects are being removed, does this mean that there's going
 > to be a community effort to remove the dependency on the clients? IMO,
 > it really should be done. I'm thinking about:

Yes, as part of the retirement process all deliverables under the project needs to be removed
and before removal we do:
1. Remove all dependencies.
2. Refactor/remove the gate job dependency also.
3. Remove the code from the retiring repo.

 > - congressclient

This is already retired in Victoria cycle[1].

 > - qinlinclient
This client is also on the list of retirement in Wallaby so let's see if no maintainer then we will retire this too[2].

 > - searchlightclient
This is one of the deliverables under the Searchlight project so we will be retiring this repo alsp.

 > - karborclient
Ditto[3].

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-April/014292.html
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-November/018638.html