[openstack-ansible] Wallaby PTG results

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at ya.ru
Mon Nov 2 12:18:49 UTC 2020

Hi,

Bellow you may find summarization of descisions that were taken during PTG discussion.

Victoria retrospective
----------------------------

1. We're pretty far from dropping resource creation code out of the tempest, as we should respect TripleO needs here.
    So leaving as is during this cycle but adding option to be possible to omit resource creation.
2. We decided to postpone prometheus integration (as well as libvirtd exporter) as we don't have enough resource
     to implement and moreover support it in the future.
3. Decided to leave ELK stack in ops repo as for now.
4. Adjusting bootstrap-ansible to pick up gerrit patches idea was also postponed as has super low prio and we have a
    lot of more useful things on our hands
5. We didn't have much progress in tempest coverage of existing roles, we should proceed with it during W. Same is
     applicable to the roles overall speedup topic.

Descisions taken for Wallaby
--------------------------------------

1. Remove nspawn from docs, and set it to unmaintained state in V.  Remove code in W.
2. Document how upgrade paths for distro installs are difficult, and may/may not align with OSA releases
3. Check through the logs what roles are we covering with tempest, and what not
4. extract deprecation messages from journal files to the separate log
5. Continue working on speeding up OSA runtime:
      - Fight with skipped tasks (ie by moving them to separate files that would be included) - most valid for systemd service, systemd_networkd and python_venv_build roles
      - Try to split up variables by group_vars
      - Try to use include instead of imports again
6. Set TRANSFORM_INVALID_GROUP_CHARS to ignore in V and replace invalid chars in groups later.
    For octavia we can temporary add 2 groups (old style and new style) for migration process.
7. Try to speedup zuul required projects clone process and talk to zuul folks
8. Finally do Integrated repo deploy for Zun and sync deployment process with service docs
9. Installation of ara for deployer needs
      - ARA deploy on localhost, configured by variables
      - Option for remote ARA
      - Option for UI server locally
10. Create Root CA on deploy host and overall SSL approach refactoring.
      Futher discussion in SPEC: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/758805/
      Original etherpad for the reference https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/osa-certificates-refactor
11. For ansible 2.11 (which requires py3.8 on deploy host) we can use pyenv for ansible venv to workaround this, and leave hosts themselves on their native python
12. Move neutron-server to standalone group in env.d
13. Add Senlin tempest test
        - Add plugins (source only) to os_tempest https://review.opendev.org/754044
        - Upstream senlin endpoints fix https://review.opendev.org/74987
        - Enable senlin tempest plugin in integrated repo https://review.opendev.org/#/c/754105/
        - Test patch for senlin/tempest https://review.opendev.org/754045
14 Document in os_nova defaults way to manage ratios via api (ie set cpu_allocation_ratio to 0.0) (regarding https://review.opendev.org/#/c/758029/)
15. Add support for zookeeper deployment for services coordination (low priority)
16. Check where we don't use uwsgi role and see if we can use it there now (like designate, neutron-api) (low priority)

--
Kind Regards,
Dmitriy Rabotyagov