[all][tc] Post-mortem of my time on the TC

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 30 10:04:35 UTC 2020

Zane Bitter wrote:
> As promised last year, I will not be running for a third term as a
> member of the Technical Committee. I'm stepping down to spend more time
> with my family (no, really! ;)
>
> I thought this would be a good opportunity to talk to those folks who
> are thinking of running for a seat, or who aren't but should be. The
> most common question I hear from potential candidates is "what should I
> actually do on the TC?" I can't tell you what *you* should do, but I can
> tell you what I did and how that worked out. Maybe that will give you
> the flavour. And perhaps (he hinted) some of the other outgoing TC
> members can do the same to provide more of a cross-section.

Thanks Zane! You achieved a lot during your TC membership, and your
perspective was extremely valuable for the group, and beyond for all of
the OpenStack community.

I agree with everything you said (in that letter). In particular:

> If there's a pattern here it's this: take something that's implicitly agreed upon by the community (whether we realise it or not), write it down, seek feedback, and make it explicit so that anyone can refer to it, rather than leaving it as closely held tribal knowledge.

I see two sides to the TC work. One is to perceive things/changes that
are needed and probably already agreed upon by the community, and
clarify and document those. The other side of the coin is to be able to
take that step back and consider the good of "OpenStack" as a whole -- a
framework that people deploy to get things done, rather than individual
git repositories and silo-ed teams. You did well on both fronts :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)