[nova] feasibility to keep the two-company rule

Jay S. Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:20:42 UTC 2020

Melanie,

Good topic here:

On 3/19/2020 3:48 PM, melanie witt wrote:
> On 3/19/20 10:23, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Nova has an unwritten rule that requires to have at least two
>> companies involved in any new feature development (or even bugfix?).
>> In the current Nova core diversity situation this rule puts extra
>> burden to the remaining non Red Hat cores and I guess it also makes
>> any Red Hat driven feature development harder. In parallel to working
>> on increasing the size of the core team I suggest to reconsider
>> dropping this rule.

Cinder has also followed this rule in the past but I think that the
enforcement has slipped as our pool of cores has gotten smaller.  I have
not seen it cause any issues.

> I have historically always appreciated the two-company approval rule
> because it ensures each patch has been reviewed with at least two
> different and diverse company perspectives.

I think, historically this was also intended to prevent one company from
unfairly imposing its will upon the community.  Now that development has
slowed and wills are not so strong I think this is less of a concern.
> However I recognize that the situation has changed over time and we
> may not have the luxury any longer to ensure diverse company
> approvals. I do not wish to overburden the remaining non Red Hat cores
> with review requests for approvals.
>
> So, given the evolved landscape, I am understanding and open to adapt
> our process to drop the two-company rule if there is such consensus in
> the rest of the team.

Support this if there is consensus from the team.