[octavia] dropping support for stable/queens

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 01:42:48 UTC 2020

Hi Erik,

The Queens branch entered Extended Maintenance (EM) on August 25th,
2019 (later extended to October 25th, 2019 to accommodate release team
resources[1]) and was tagged EM on November 6th, 2019.

This proposal is to exit Extended Maintenance and mark the Queens
release as End-of-Life(EOL). This is following the guidelines for
stable branch releases[2].

Currently the Octavia team is maintaining five branches and supporting
queens is becoming more difficult as the test jobs are still based on
the Ubuntu Xenial release (released April 21. 2016). The python 2.7
end-of-life combined with the older OS version has made it hard to
keep reliable test jobs[3]. Backporting patches is also becoming more
difficult as the Octavia code base has rapidly evolved in the two
years since it was released.

If you or others are willing to help us with fixing the queens jobs
and backporting patches, that would be great and we may be able to
leave the queens branch in Extended Maintenance. If not, Adam is
proposing we move it into EOL.

Personally, I agree with Adam that it is time to mark the Queens
release as EOL. Since you can run newer releases of Octavia on older
clouds (as many do), the branch cannot release under EM, and patches
on that branch are few.

Michael

[1] https://github.com/openstack/releases/commit/be797b61677b1eafc0162bd664f09db54287ac81#diff-8fa0a5ef8165646609d2f3d50646c597
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#end-of-life