[all][tc][stable][qa] Grenade testing for Extended Maintenance stable

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Wed Jun 17 18:17:26 UTC 2020

Hello Everyone,

As you know devstack (so does grenade) got broken due to uwsgi new release, the master branch is fixed
and stable branches are in progress[1]. But It is hard to maintain or fix the EM stable for those issues. Especially
the greande job which depends on the source branch (previous branch of one where the job is running).
For example, for stein grenade job, we need to keep rocky branch working and fix if failure.

Till now, we have not removed the grenade testing from any of the EM stable branches because they
were running fine till now but with uwsgi issues, those are failing and need more work to fix. This triggers
the discussion of grenade testing on EM stable branches.

Usual policy for grenade testing is to keep the job running from the 'oldest supported stable +1' branch.
For example, if stein is the oldest supported stable (in the old stable definition) then run grenade from train onwards.
But with the Extended Maintainance model, defining 'oldest supported stable' is not clear whether it is the oldest
non-EM(stein) or oldest EM stable(ocata).

To make it clear, we discussed this in the QA channel and come up with the below proposal.

* 'oldest' is the oldest non-EM. In current time, it is stein.
* With the above 'oldest' definition, we will:
** Make grenade jobs as n-v on all EM stable branches (which is till stable/rocky as of today) + on stable/stein also because that is 'oldest' as of today.
** Keep supporting and running grenade job on 'oldest+1' which is stable/train onwards as of today.

NOTE: we will make n-v when they start failing and anyone can volunteer to fix them and change back to voting.
elod expressed interest to work on current failure.

If no objection to the above proposal, I will document it on the grenade documents to follow it whenever we see EM failing and need more work.
In Tempest, we already have the EM stable testing policy documented which is to support those till they run fine[2].

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-June/015496.html
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/tempest/latest/stable_branch_support_policy.html
[3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-qa/%23openstack-qa.2020-06-17.log.html#t2020-06-17T14:12:42

-gmann