[doc] installation guide maintenance
amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 09:40:45 UTC 2020
During the doc migration, the installation guide was moved to
individual project repos.
I see problems in installation guide maintenance after the migration.
- The installation guide is not maintained well perhaps in many projects.
AFAIK they are not verified well at least in horizon and neutron.
- Even if we try to verify it, it is a tough thing because we need to
prepare base distribution
and setup other projects together (of course it depends on projects).
This leads to a development bandwidth and priority issue.
- We sometimes receive bug reports on the installation guide, but it
is not easy for the
upstream team confirm them and verify fixes.
I guess the installation guides are not being maintained well from
Any thoughts on this situation? (This is my first question.)
If a project team has no bandwidth to maintain it, what is a recommended way?
I see several options:
- Drop the installation guide (per OS or as a whole) -- If drop what
should the criteria be?
- Keep the installation guide with warnings like "the upstream team
does not maintain it and just host it".
- Keep it as-is (unmaintained)
Finally, I am not sure we need to maintain step-by-step guides on
I wonder we need to drop them at some time.
Most users deploy OpenStack using deployment projects (or their own
Step-by-step guides might be useful from educational perspective
but unmaintained guides are not useful.
Thanks in advance,
-- Akihiro Motoki (amotoki)
More information about the openstack-discuss