[ops] Reviving OSOps ?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jul 17 13:19:55 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

During the last Opendev event we discussed reviving the OSops[1] idea: a
lightweight area where operators can share the various small tools that
they end up creating to help them operate OpenStack deployments. The
effort has been mostly dormant for a few years.

We had a recent thread[2] about osarchiver, a new operators helper, and
whether it would make sense to push it upstream. I think the best option
would be to revive OSops and land it there.

Who is interested in helping to revive/maintain this ?

If we revive it, I think we should move its repositories away from the
catch-all "x" directory under opendev, which was created for projects
that were not claimed by anyone during the big migration.

If Osops should be considered distinct from OpenStack, then I'd
recommend giving it its own opendev top directory, and move existing
x/osops-* repositories to osops/*.

If we'd like to make OSops a product of the OpenStack community (and
have contributions to it be fully recognized as contributions to
"OpenStack"), then I'd recommend creating a specific SIG dedicated to
this, and move the x/osops-* repositories to openstack/osops-*.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Osops
[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-July/015977.html

--