[largescale-sig] OpenStack DB Archiver

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jul 17 13:11:01 UTC 2020

Arnaud Morin wrote:
> [...]
> The source code of this tool is available here:
> https://github.com/ovh/osarchiver/

Thanks for sharing this tool!

> We were wondering if some other users would be interested in using the
> tool, and maybe move it under the opendev governance?

I think this is one of those small operational tools that everyone ends
up reinventing in their corner, duplicating effort. I support the idea
of pushing it upstream, as it will make it easier for others to improve
it, but also make the tool more discoverable.

In terms of governance, we have several paths we could follow:

1/ we could create a specific project team to maintain this. That sounds
completely overkill given the scope and size of the tool, and the fact
that it's mostly feature-complete. Project teams are great to produce
new "openstack" service components, but this is more peripheral
operational tooling that would be released independently.

2/ we could adopt it at the Large Scale SIG, and promote it from there.
I feel like this is useful beyond Large scale deployments though, so
that sounds suboptimal

3/ during the last Opendev event we discussed reviving the OSops[1]
idea: a lightweight area where operators can share the various small
tools that they end up creating to help them operate OpenStack
deployments. The effort has been dormant for a few years.

I personally think the last option is the best, even if we need to
figure a few things out before we can land this. I'll start a separate
thread on OSops, and depending on how that goes, we'll choose between
option 3 or option 2 for osarchiver.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Osops

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)