[TC] [all] OSU Intern Work

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 22:18:49 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 3:08 PM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com>
wrote:

> ---- On Thu, 02 Jul 2020 16:45:00 -0500 Kendall Nelson <
> kennelson11 at gmail.com> wrote ----
>  > Hello!
>  > As you may or may not know, the OSF funded a student at Oregon State
> University last year to work on OpenStack part time. He did a lot of
> amazing work on Glance but sadly we are coming to the end of his internship
> as he will be graduating soon. I'm happy to report that we have the budget
> to fund another student part time to work on OpenStack again and I wanted
> to collect suggestions of projects/areas that a student could be helpful
> in.
>  > It is important to note, that they will only be working part time and,
> while I will be helping to mentor them, I will likely need a co-mentor in
> the area/topic to help me get them going, get their patches reviewed,
> answer questions as they go etc.
>  > Originally, I had thought about assigning them to Glance (like this
> past year) or Designate (like we had considered last year), but now I am
> thinking the User Facing API work (OpenStackSDK/OSC/et al) might be a
> better fit? If you are interested in helping mentor a student in any of
> those areas or have a better idea I am all ears :)
>  > I look forward to your suggestions.
>
> Thanks Kendal for starting this.
>
> +100 for OSC help.
>
> Also we should consider upstream-investment-opportunities list which is
> our help needed things in community and
> we really look for some help on that since starting. For example, help on
> 'Consistent and Secure Policy Defaults' can
> be good thing to contribute which is a popup team in this cycle too[2],
> Raildo and myself can help for mentorship in this.

I will definitely take a look at the list, but my understanding was that we
wanted someone to work on those things that would be sticking around a
little more long term and full time? I can only guarantee the student will
be around for the school year and only part time.

If I'm wrong, I can definitely rank the policy work a little higher on my
list :)

> [1]
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/upstream-investment-opportunities/2020/index.html
> [2]