DR options with openstack

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Jan 17 03:51:15 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-17 11:17:40 +0800 (+0800), Tony Pearce wrote:
[...]
> With regards to IRC - in my experience, once you get passed the
> authentication problems

These are a relatively recent and unfortunate addition to our
channels, necessitated by spammers randomly popping in and generally
being nuisances for everyone. We keep testing the waters by lifting
the identification requirement here and there, but the coast is not
yet clear. We'd really rather people were able to freely join and
ask questions without setting up accounts, it's just a bit hard to
keep our channels usable that way at the moment.

> and often session timeout/kick out, you see the chat room with 300
> people but no one chatting or answering. Kind of reduces the worth
> of the chatroom this way in my opinion. Although, I am in
> Australia so the timezone I am in could be a contributor.

Certainly the bulk of discussion for most projects happens when
Europe and the Americas are awake, so likely less in the middle of
your day and a lot more overnight for you. There may be some
increased activity in your mornings or evenings at least. But if
this is the #openstack channel, the bigger problem is that it's just
not got a lot of people with answers to user questions paying
attention in there (I too am guilty of forgetting to keep tabs on
it).

The fundamental truth is that whenever you balkanize communications
into topic areas for "users" and "developers," the end result is
that the user forum is all questions nobody's answering because most
of the folks with answers are all conversing somewhere else in
places where such questions are discouraged. We used to have
separate mailing lists for user questions, sharing between
operators, and development topics; those suffered precisely the same
problem and I'm quite happy we agreed as a community to merge the
lists into one where users' questions *are* getting seen by people
who already possess the necessary knowledge to provide accurate
answers and guidance.
--
Jeremy Stanley