[largescale-sig] Meeting summary and next actions

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Feb 26 16:45:08 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

The Large Scale SIG held a meeting today. You can catch up with the
summary and logs of the meeting at:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/large_scale_sig/2020/large_scale_sig.2020-02-26-09.00.html

amorin reported on progress documenting better configuration defaults
for large scale, as can be seen on the etherpad[1]. He will set up a
wiki page under our SIG page[2] to continue solidifying that content, as
well as proposing a patch to Nova doc to point to that page.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/large-scale-sig-documentation
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Large_Scale_SIG

The story we collected in the scaling stories etherpad[3] proves itself
very valuable. We should encourage collecting small bits of information
and anecdotes of scaling up, it does not have to be as thorough of a
report as the one already collected.

[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/scaling-stories

masahito reported on progress on the oslo.metrics spec[4]. He plans to
post a new patchset of that spec very soon.

[4] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/704733/

In other topics, oneswig suggested that we also tackle bare metal
cluster scaling. This should be considered a part of the "scaling within
one cluster" goal, just for specific types of clusters.

It would be great to have a session around bare metal cluster scaling at
the upcoming OpenDev event[5] (under the "Large scale usage of open
infrastructure" track).

belmiro and masahito volunteered to be part of the programming committee
for that track. the idea would be to make sure it aligns with the goals
of this SIG, and that we recruit new members there. For example, we
could have a specific session on scaling-stories, where people can
informally talk about scaling anecdotes, and then we'd take notes and
follow up with them to submit something more detailed.

[5] https://www.openstack.org/events/opendev-ptg-2020/

The next meeting will happen on March 11, at 9:00 UTC on
#openstack-meeting.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)