[oslo][release] oslo.limit mistakenly released as 1.0.0

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Feb 18 10:23:18 UTC 2020

Ben Nemec wrote:

> On 2/17/20 2:42 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> On 2020-02-17 15:02:14 -0500 (-0500), Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I’m not 100% sure, but I think if you remove a release from PyPI
>>> you can’t release again using that version number. So a future
>>> stable release would have to be 1.1.0, or something like that.
>> [...]
>>
>> More accurately, you can't republish the same filename to PyPI even
>> if it's been previously deleted. You could however publish a
>> oslo.limit-1.0.0.post1.tar.gz after deleting oslo.limit-1.0.0.tar.gz
>> though that seems a bit of a messy workaround.
>>

> This seems sensible - it would be kind of like rewriting history in a
> git repo to re-release 1.0 with different content. I'm also completely
> fine with having to use a different release number for our eventual 1.0
> release. It may make our release version checks unhappy, but since this
> is (hopefully) not a thing we'll be doing regularly I imagine we can
> find a way around that.
>
> If we can pull the 1.0.0 release that would be ideal since as Sean
> mentioned people aren't good about reading docs and a 1.0 implies some
> things that aren't true here.

As others suggested, the simplest is probably to remove 1.0.0 from PyPI
and releases.o.o, and then wait until the API is stable to push a 2.0.0 tag.

That way we don't break anything (the tag stays, we still increment
releases, we do not rewrite history, we do not use weird post1 bits) but
just limit the diffusion of the confusing 1.0.0 artifact.

I'm not sure a feature branch is really needed ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)