[TC] W release naming

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Feb 11 16:39:50 UTC 2020

Sean McGinnis wrote:
> [...]
> We have a set of names collected from the community. There may be some
> trademark concerns, but I think we can leave that for the Foundation
> review after the election polling completes unless anyone has a strong
> reason to exclude any now. If so, please state so here before I create
> the poll for next week.
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Naming/W_Proposals
> [...]

That's a lot of good names, and before voting I'd like to get wide
feedback from the community... So if there is any name you strongly like
or dislike, please follow up here !

The TC is also supposed to discuss potential cultural sensibility and
try to avoid those names, so if you see anything that could be
considered culturally offensive for some human groups, let me know or
reply on this thread.

Personally I could see how 'Wodewick' could be perceived as a joke on
speech-impaired people, and 'Whiskey'/'Whisky' could be seen as
promoting the alcohol-drinking culture in open source events. Also
'Wuhan' is likely to not be neutral -- either seen as a positive
supportive move for our friends in China struggling with the virus, or
as a bit of a weird choice, but I'm not sure which.

In summary: please voice concerns and preferences here, before the vote
starts!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)