[goals][Drop Python 2.7 Support] Week R-15 2nd Update (# 2 weeks left to complete)

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Feb 4 14:07:30 UTC 2020

 ---- On Sat, 01 Feb 2020 18:36:58 -0600 Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote ----
 > Hello Everyone,
 >
 > Below is the progress on "Drop Python 2.7 Support" at end of R-15 week.
 >
 > Schedule: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/selected/ussuri/drop-py27.html#schedule
 >

 > Highlights:
 > ========
 > * 2 weeks left to finish the work.
 >
 > * QA tooling:
 > ** Tempest is dropping py3.5[1]. Tempest plugins can drop py3.5 now if they still support it.
 > ** Updating tox with basepython python3 [2].
 > ** Pining stable/rocky testing with 23.0.0[3].
 > ** Updating neutron-tempest-plugins rocky jobs to run with py3 on master and py2 on stable/rocky gate.
 > ** Ironic-tempest-plugin jobs are failing on uploading image on glance. Debugging  in progress.
 >
 > * zipp failure fix on py3.5 job is merged.
 >
 > * 5 services listed below still not merged the patches, I request PTLs to review it on priority.
 >
 > Project wise status and need reviews:
 > ============================
 > Phase-1 status:
 > The OpenStack services have not merged the py2 drop patches:
 > NOTE: This was supposed to be completed by milestone-1 (Dec 13th, 19).
 >
 > * Adjutant
 > * ec2-api
 > * Karbor
 > * Masakari
 > * Qinling
 > * Tricircle
 >
 > Phase-2 status:
 > This is ongoing work and I think most of the repo have patches up to review.
 > Try to review them on priority. If any query and I missed to respond on review, feel free to ping me
 > in irc.
 >
 > * Most of the tempest plugins and python client patches are good to merge.
 >
 > * Open review: https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:drop-py27-support+status:open

Oslo lib dropped the py2 and now would not be able to work on py2 jobs on master gate. You might see
the failure if your project has not merged the patch. openstack-tox-py27 job will fail for sure.

This is good time to merge your patch to drop the py2. I will not suggest capping the requirement to unblock
the gate instead drop the py2 from your repo.

-gmann